Topical presentations and workshops on End-of-Life to the community and professionals … READ MORE
“These conversations are always too early, until they are too late.”
– Ellen Goodman, The Conversation Project
Reflection, communication, and education are part of Advance Care Planning for future healthcare … READ MORE
Five Case Histories
Five Case Histories in Advance Care Planning
We owe a debt of gratitude to 5 beautiful women and their families. Nancy Cruzan, Karen Ann Quinlan, Terri Schiavo, Estelle Browning and Brittany Maynard impacted the world as symbols of patient’s “right to die” and death with “dignity and grace”. As a result of their struggles, laws have been changed. Millions of Advance Care Plans have been written since then. These women left a legacy that can change our lives, and the lives of our friends and families. Let’s write your advance care plans together.
“Before I shepherded my parents through to their deaths, I thought medical over treatment was mainly an economic problem: a quarter of Medicare’s roughly $560 Billion in annual outlays covers medical care in the end of life. After my father’s death I understood the human costs. After my mother’s death I saw that there could be another path.”
– Katy Butler, excerpt from Knocking On Heaven’s Door
Healthcare & Financial Security
Healthcare Realities Threaten Financial Security
Medicare covers about 51% of healthcare costs. The following are estimates of some healthcare costs not covered by Medicare. These estimates significantly vary geographically and by “style”.
Medicare does not cover:
• $90.5K per year – The annual cost of a private room in a nursing home.
• $81K per year – The annual cost of a semi-private room in a nursing home.
• $42.6K – The annual cost in an assisted living residence.
• $20-27 per hour for an Agency Home Care Aide
• $18,200 per year for Adult Day Services
HEALTHCARE COSTS ARE THE #1 CAUSE OF BANKRUPTCY!